Gallstones are not actual stones they are the pieces of solid material formed in the gallbladder
There may be several causes which may result in the formation of gallstones. Some of them could be:
- Medical conditions: In certain medical conditions like cirrhosis of liver or blood diseases like sickle cell anaemia, pigment stones are more common
- Obesity: In case if you are an obese patient it is one of the biggest risk factors. Obesity increases the cholesterol levels in your body and it even makes it harder for gallbladder to empty the contents
- Oestrogen: Excess oestrogen in the body can also increase cholesterol levels i.e., if you take birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy for menopause or are pregnant, extra oestrogen could be the problem.
- Diabetes: People who are diabetic tend to have higher levels of triglycerides which is a risk factor for gallstones.
- Weight loss: In case of sudden weight loss, there might be a production of extra cholesterol by your liver leading to gallstones.
- Cholesterol medicines: Some of the medicines which you take to control your cholesterol levels may increase the amount of cholesterol in bile which increases your chances of getting cholesterol stones.
- Hereditary: There are more chances that you may develop gallstones if any of your family member or any relative has suffered from gallstones earlier.
Leave A Comment