Bloating of the abdomen is commonly called as ‘Gas’. It can be associated with pain when there is an accumulation of gas in the abdomen and the person is unable to expel it.
One passes gas in the form of belching or flatus. Though the passing of the accumulated intestinal gas is not much serious but can result in embarrassment especially when you’re in some public place.
There are various causes which might result into abdomen bloating. Some of them could be as follows:
- One of the cause could be when the bacteria present in your colon ferment carbohydrates and it may result in formation of gas
- Some of the high fiber foods may also lead to bloating like fruits, vegetables, legumes
- Excess intake of carbonated drinks like soda or beer
- Swallowing of air while eating, drinking or when you’re nervous may also lead to abdominal bloating
- Bloating of the abdomen can also be due to some other health conditions like inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis etc. Some of the other health conditions like diabetes can lead to excess growth of bacteria leading to formation of gas
- Bloating can also occur when you’re intolerant to certain foods like dairy products or gluten intolerant
- GI Tract may not be able to digest artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol, gums or candies. Many healthy individuals may develop gas or diarrhea when they consume these sweeteners
- Constipation may make it difficult to pass gas leading to abdominal bloating.